As of -- there are -- confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Mexico. Learn More
Education Affected by COVID-19
The Public Education Department is committed to keeping our school leaders and communities up to date about Coronavirus in New Mexico (COVID-19). NMPED and New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH) are working together on a daily basis to share the most current information as well as to consult on protocols, procedures and best practices.
School Closures Information & Resources
New Mexico public education will shift to a learn-at-home model as schools remain closed for the rest of the academic year, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham and state education and child care officials announced Friday.
Academic Enrichment Tool Kit for Families
We know that families are looking for resources to keep students entertained and engaged during this time, and so we have put together these tool kits for educators and families. Please note: These resources are meant as suggestions only and will not be required. Completion of activates or digital coursework will not count towards instructional hours. Not every resource may be available in all formats – we encourage you to use the resources that work best for your family’s needs. Click here to download the toolkit.
Implementation Guide for Your Continuous Learning Plan
This guide is designed to support you through the extraordinary circumstances that are impacting schools and districts. It will assist you develop a Continuous Learning Plan and complete a subsequent assurances document and application that will be approved by the New Mexico Public Education Department (PED).
Two documents support your planning process: 1) The Implementation Guide; 2) A packet that includes the Assurances Document and Continuous Learning Application. The New Mexico Public Education Department is indebted to the Kansas State Department of Education for their support and sharing of resources, including the thoughtful work of the Kansas Continuous Learning Task Force.
Meal Sites for Children
List of sites that will provide breakfast and lunch to children between March 16 and April 6.
Proper Food Handling Guidelines for Volunteers
Safe steps in food handling, cooking, and storage are essential to prevent foodborne illness. You cannot see, smell, or taste harmful bacteria that may cause illness.
Due to schools closures associated with COVID 19 pandemic, the PED submitted a waiver application to the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) to seek a one-year reprieve from federal student testing and accountability requirements for the 2019-20 school year. Anyone who wishes to submit a public comment can email it to: PED.Assessment@state.nm.us
Click Here to Download the Waiver.
Due to schools closures associated with COVID 19 pandemic, the PED submitted additional waiver applications to the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) to waive certain fiscal and programmatic requirements pursuant to section 3511 of Division A of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). Anyone who wishes to submit a public comment can email it to: Covid.Edwaiver@state.nm.us.
Click Here to Download the Waiver.
- Formal approval of New Mexico’s waiver request of certain fiscal and programmatic requirements pursuant to section 3511 of Division A of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) – (April 21, 2020)
- Steps to Increase Security of Zoom Meetings (April 8, 2020)
- Transportation Staff & Contractor Expectations (April 7, 2020)
- APS@Home News Release (April 5, 2020)
- FAQs Around Work and Payment for Work (April 1, 2020)
- FAQs for Special Education During School Closure (April 1)
- School Closure and Licensure (March 27, 2020)
- Executive Order Directing the Closure of All Public Schools for the rest of the Academic Year (March 27, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Extended Public School Closure
- Gobernadora: Cerradas las escuelas k-12 para continuar evitando la propagación de COVID-19 (27 de Marzo de 2020)
- FERPA and Coronavirus: Frequently Asked Questions (US DOE March 2020)
- Alternate Work Expectations for School Employees (NMPED March 13, 2020)
- Update for Legislators (NMPED March 16, 2020)
- School Feeding Plan during COVID-19 School Closure (NMPED March 13, 2020)
- COVID-19 Updated Guidance for Students with Disabilities (NMPED: March 13, 2020)
- News Release: New Mexico Closes K-12 Public Schools to Prevent Potential Spread of COVID-19 (Office of the Governor, NMPED, NMDOH: March 13, 2020)
- New Mexico Schools to Temporarily Close (Office of the Governor: March 12, 2020)
- Public Health Emergency Order to Limit Mass Gatherings Due to COVID-19 (NMDOH: March 12, 2020)
- FAQs: Mass Gatherings Public Health Order (NMDOH: March 12, 2020)
- Questions and Answers on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Outbreak (U.S. Dept. of Ed: March 2020)
- Fact Sheet: Impact of COVID-19 on Assessments and Accountability Under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (U.S. Dept. of Ed: March 12, 2020)
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (National Association of School Nurses and National Association of School Psychologists: February 29, 2020)
- Hable Con Sus Hijos Sobre el COVID-19 (National Association of School Nurses and National Association of School Psychologists: February 29, 2020)
SANTA FE – New Mexico public education will shift to a learn-at-home model as schools remain closed for the rest of the academic year, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham and state education and child care officials announced Friday. The decision is part of a two-pronged plan...
SANTA FE - La educación pública de Nuevo México cambiará a un modelo enseñado en casa ya que las escuelas permanecerán cerradas por el resto del año académico, anunciaron el viernes, la Gobernadora Michelle Lujan Grisham y los oficiales del Departamento de Educación y...
SANTA FE – On Friday, March 27, from 10-11 a.m., Public Education Secretary Ryan Stewart, Early Childhood Education and Care Secretary Elizabeth Groginsky, Children, Youth and Families Secretary Brian Blalock and Indian Affairs Secretary Lynn Trujillo will host a...