As of -- there are -- confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Mexico. Learn More

Lost Federal Unemployment

Information For Individuals Experiencing Financial Hardship, including those who no longer receive the $600 weekly Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation

Congress has yet to extend the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) program, which provided an additional $600 weekly benefit to individuals receiving state or federal unemployment insurance.  FPUC was part of the CARES Act and, absent action by Congress, will not be paid for any week of unemployment ending after July 25th.  The final $600 payments to New Mexicans are being made the week of July 27. 

We know this will create significant hardship for tens of thousands of New Mexico families.  There are numerous resources that are available to help you and your families.  You can find them under our “I Need Assistance” webpage for different categories of assistance. 

The financial and emotional stress is huge for many New Mexicans.  The State of New Mexico supports a crisis hotline — New Mexico Crisis and Access Line — where you can speak to a counselor 24 hours a day, every day of the week. Certified Peer Support Specialists also answer calls on the Warmline from 3:30pm – 11:30pm Mountain Daily Time and texts from 6pm – 10p MDT. 

New Mexico Crisis and Access Line |
NMCAL | 1-855-NMCRISIS | 1-855-662-7474
Warmline | 1-855-4NM-7100 | 1-855-466-7100 

The Human Services Department provides assistance to New Mexicans through several programs.  HSD programs include child support services and food, cash, energy and medical assistance. Medical assistance includes physical health, behavioral health and substance abuse services

If you need further information: 

Child Care Assistance

  • Child Care Assistance eligibility is at 200% of the federal poverty level, $52,400 for a family of four for example.
  • An application for families to apply for child care assistance can be found here
  • For help locating or paying for child care, call New Mexico’s Child Care Resource and Referral at 1 (800) 691-9067
  • Child Care Assistance can pay for your job search
  • Our teams can help in English or Spanish


The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women Infants and Children (WIC)

The WIC program safeguards the health of New Mexico’s low-income pregnant, postpartum and nursing (breastfeeding) women, infants and children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating including nursing support and promotion and referrals to healthcare.  Determine your eligibility without leaving your home by applying online or calling 1-866-867-3124. 

  • WIC is offering expedited curbside service statewide
  • Providing four months of healthy food benefits instead of three to further limit direct contact for services
  • 700 new food products and sizes have been added to improve the shopping selection
  • You can participate in both NM-WIC and SNAP/Medicaid Programs


Health Care Coverage

Medicaid is no-cost health insurance for eligible individuals. It pays for doctor and hospital visits, regular check-ups, mental health services, counseling sessions, prescriptions and medical supplies. For some, it covers dental and vision services. Most people who have New Mexico Medicaid will get their services through Centennial Care. This is the NM Medicaid Managed Care program. You can apply for Medicaid online at  You can download a paper application at . For assistance with Medicaid, you may also call: 1-800-283-4465. 

Other health coverage options.  Not everyone is eligible for Medicaid, but there are other options for you.  Click here for more information. 


The New Mexico Supreme Court has issued a temporary order during the public health emergency to protect you from being evicted if you are unable to pay your rent. But you must participate in the court proceeding to be protected from eviction.  For more information, go to the “I need assistance” page of the general COVID-19 website and look under ‘Housing.” 

The New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty has provided resources to people who cannot afford to pay their rent during the COVID-19 emergency to help you stay in your home. That information can be found here.